Thursday, January 29, 2009

Facebook Slavery

Are you a facebook slave? If you are in the U.S. and you are a high school or college student then, there is more than 90% chance that you are a facebook slave. I too was.
When was it that I deactivated my facebook account? I should have remembered that day. It was a historic day for me. I will be celebrating that day as the Technological Emancipation Day. Not quite.  The internet still enslaves me. I got rid of my cellphone when I moved to the US and got rid of cellular slavery. I'm glad I didn't succumb to my friends' pressure to join them for a family plan. I want to be closer to nature. Technology is for me, I am not for technology. I got rid of cellphones, facebook and now I want to slowly get rid of this internet. Well, I find it so useful that on some days, I spend more time with Google than any human, or maybe humans combined. And so, at one point I had claimed that I had fallen in love with Google, for right reasons. She is so helpful, resourceful and helps me out whenever I am in trouble and need her help. She never says No. And, she's FREE. I don't have to take her on a date or any formal event, I just can enjoy being with her. And she never demands anything. She's not possessive either. She helps me as much as she helps anyone who seeks help from her. And, she gets better everyday, more beautiful with every sunrise (anti-aging like Benjamin Button and) unlike others out there. So, I have hundreds of reasons to be amused and enchanted by her.
But she too had made me a slave. For practically everything, I used to seek her help. Not that she minds or gets annoyed, but I was losing my creativity even though my knowledge was increasing. I was becoming like machines and living in a virtual world where love means reciprocation of digital textures, produced by cathode ray osscilloscopes.
I am so glad that I got rid of the facebook and said NO to the life in virtual world and was brave enough to start living a real world and meeting real 3Dpeople, who have real flesh and skin, unlike 2D pictures in the facebook world. Living in the real world is definitely harder and has much more challenges but this pays eventually. I exited the matrix and came to live in a real world even though I was more powerful and safe in the matrix world. I don't know if I ever can get rid of the internet, or I would ever want to, but I want to be more closer to nature and lesser to manmade environment or objects.

No comments:

Post a Comment