Sunday, March 28, 2010

Alternative Spring Break to Republica Dominicana

Somehow, my breaks are becoming passport intensive. Last Winter, I had a chance to visit Mexico and this Spring - Dominican Republic. Two different countries in a year? Certainly, it must be a coincidence. And, if you didn't already know, I am planning to study abroad in New Zealand next semester. Yes, that's in 2010 as well which makes it 3 countries in a year. I am excited. 

                     Trinity group at Santiago Airport.  Photographer: Dr. Raphael Moffett

Interestingly, both American and DR authorities were greatly fascinated by my passport. They checked its every single page and oscillated their eyes between my face and passport photo several times. No, my passport was not fake. Poor creatures, they must have never seen a Nepali passport or Devanagari Script in which its contents were typed.

Flag of Dominican Republic. Photographer: Dr. Raphael Moffett

I will tell you briefly (even though there's a lot to say) about my week long Alternative Spring Break to Dominican Republic through CCI of Trinity University. In one word, it was AMAZING. It was like the perfect spring break one could think of. I got to see a new country, learn a little about their culture, way of life, devour great food, teach English to students in primary schools and live with kids at the Orphanage. Yes, it was a service trip filled with lots of fun and adventure. The experience was enhanced by amazing group of students and team leaders from Trinity and elsewhere. There were 170 volunteers including 9 from our Trinity. Interestingly, male-female ratio was heavily imbalanced, 30 male and 140 female. I didn't complain. You know why.

                             Students imitating different Emotions. Photographer: Puru (Myself)
                                She was so obedient in class. Photographer: Puru (myself)

The most rewarding experience was seeing the transformation in students while teaching English. On our first day, they exuded usual indifference and occasional unfriendliness towards learning English, a language foreign in Spanish speaking nation. But gradually, they started liking us and showed genuine interest in learning English. The experience was particularly valuable for me since English is my third language (Maithili being the first, and Nepali the second). I found it easier to put myself in their shoes and reminisced about my own school days. I will tell you English is a crazy language, and therefore, difficult to learn. There was a visual emphasis to our teaching and we deployed several methods that worked such as memory games, bingo, songs and poems among others. I also attended Church for the first time to gain a cross cultural experience.

              Volunteers sorting through donation items. Photographer: Dr. Raphael Moffett
                          Students at Dona Ana School. Photographer: Dr. Raphael Moffett
 Maria teaching English to kids. They loved the camera.  Photographer: Dr. Raphael Moffett

On our final day, we went for sight-seeing and ate a traditional lunch with exotic delicacies. We saw a clock tower that was designed by the same architect who designed Eiffel Tower. Unbelievable, isn't it? But remember, Dominican Republic was a French colony. We also went to Monte Christi Beach and bounced against the waves for hours while the Sun tanned our skin. There were surprisingly large amounts of fossil and coral on the seashore. We also went to a local gift store and bought some native items as souvenirs for friends back home.

            A kid at the Orphanage enjoying Christian Music. Photographer: Puru (myself)
                         Should remind you of Eiffel Tower. Photographer: Puru (myself)
    See the beach in the background. Yes, we also went hiking. Photographer: Maria Greene

My appreciation to Orphanage Outreach in Monte Christi and its team that made our stay so enjoyable. The sleeping huts (which they called 'armadas') were not one of the best places you would want to spend your night in but it was part of the experience. We could keep the mosquitoes away (which were plenty, maybe several hundreds per volunteer) if our nets were tugged inside the mattresses properly. Thanks to Trinity team consisting of Edwin. Dr. Moffett, Rachna, Mark, Maria, Kate, Kelsey and Ben who made my experience worthwhile. Dr. Moffett took some great pictures as evidenced in this blog. Thanks in big part to MAS (Mexico, Americas, Spain) Program that covered part of my expenses and made the trip possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment