Friday, January 23, 2009

My Calculus III class

I wish I had retained my enthusiasm for Maths which would in turn would have retained my natural aptitude (an euphemism for my natural talent) in Maths. I realize now how Maths would come naturally to me when I was in secondary and high school. I know this because now it does not. But that's not the point I want to discuss here.
I want to discuss about a guy in my Calculus III class. He seems to be genuinely interested in Mathematics but that has turned out to be his curse, in my view. I tell this because everyone thinks he is an ass. Not literally though. He asks pretty intelligent questions and his queries seem to be genuine and often surprises us by how much he knows when the professor and he has an argument, that makes no sense to us and then the professor agrees that what he's saying is absolutely right. I respect his genuine interest because in school, I too had a geuine interest in Maths but feel that he interrupts the class more often than he should be. Afterall, what are office hours for?
I am not someone who enjoys back-biting (I am doing it right now) but what I am trying to point out here is to ponder what goes on in his mind. Does he know that everyone thinks he is an ass for asking too many intelligent questions and not letting the teaching forward. Does he know that the professor struggles with his bullets of questions, and often a missile or two when he is genuinely trying to teach the whole class? Does he realize that he is interfering too much? Or he is one of us who do things our own way, write our blogs our own way and do not care if CIA or FBI is after us for being different, and failing to be one of humanic robots. I saw him today during dinner today and he was alone, seemed to be contemplating or lost in mental computations or maybe thinking about a missile or two to direct at our beloved maths professor in the next class. I always want to know what's going on others' mind. It's not only Obama's mind during taking the Oath of Office that interests me, even a beggar's mind while begging amuses me. What would that beggar be thinking. How does he judge people? Can he see really mean people through their impeccable suit and tie?
I ought to have taken pyschology since it's so interesting. See, I want to end this blog here but feel that it is such an abrupt ending, but what do I care? This is my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment