Saturday, October 16, 2010

Wellesley Student Apartments, Auckland: A review

(Disclaimer: This post is a review of Wellesley Student Apartments managed by AUT (Auckland University of Technology) on 8-10 Mount Street, Auckland, New Zealand. Contents of this post is based totally on my stay here from July to October 2010 and any criticism should be directed to me. Although my accommodation was arranged by my study abroad program IFSA-Butler, the views expressed here reflect my personal experiences and should not be taken as a general experience of all study abroad/exchange students.)
Wellesley Student Apartments lies on Mount Street
I will try to keep this post short and sweet, possibly numbered style to make it more readable. 

First of all, the benefits of staying in Wellesley Student Apartments:
  1. Close proximity to AUT and University of Auckland. It's only 5 minutes walk at most to UoA and is probably one of the closest university apartments you can find.
  2. Five people share an apartment but each get their own bedroom. Nice kitchen, two bathrooms and pretty good living room with a TV with 5-6 channels.
  3. Utility costs like water and electricity is included in costs so that you don't have to worry about it.
  4. Has its own laundry facilities. I will discuss this more later since laundry facilities are often disappointing
  5. Conducts events occassionally to encourage mixing up of residents.
Wellesley Student Apartments, inhabited by almost 650 people.

It looks pretty appealing right. Basically, it offers all you want in a decent apartment. But there are several issues with their management. 

My Living Room in Wellesley Student Apartment.
Problems you may face while staying in Wellesley Student Apartments:
  1. WSA Management will treat you as if they have absolute control over you. If your flat gets a violation for being noisy, even if you appeal that you were not there, you would still get a fine. I will elaborate on this later.
  2. Internet service provided by Orcon is extremely slow even though when they sell you, they'll tell you that it is broadband. It is the only broadband service you can purchase and use in WSA dorms. You could buy other wireless providers. Internet is so slow that I can never even access my online banking. WSA buys a limited amount of bandwidth and when that is used up, everyone's internet becomes slow. So, if you use 5 GB per month out of your allocated 10 GB and another resident uses 20GB, then everyone's internet gets slow irrespective of how much you used individually. Sucks.
  3. Laundry facilities suck. Read my other entry on Laundry Nightmare at Wellesley Student Apartments. More than half of the washers they have are dysfunctional and they have not been repaired since I started living here. As for dryers, they will never dry up your clothes. Many residents walk across the street to Forte Laundromat, a commercial facility to do their laundry. It took me more than two months to find out three secret dyers that dry your clothes, others don't. They're located just as you walk in to the laundry room.
  4. There are four elevators/lifts for almost 650 residents of which only a few are operating at any given time. You will waste so much time just waiting for elevators. You cannot use stairs to enter the building even though you could use it to exit. Since it has 14 floors, using stairs is very tiring for residents living higher up. On one weekend, starting from Friday night to Monday morning, only one elevator was functioning for D-H section, for 325 residents and the floor was all filled in puke. Some asshole must have thrown up at night after getting drunk. Residents were forced to use the only elevator. Imagine being in that elevator. The management made no effort to get it cleaned up. It was disgusting.
  5. Bedrooms have inadequate lighting for studying. Bedroom has one light bulb while living room has three and even restroom has two. The book-shelf which is immovable lies between the only light-bulb on the wall and my study table. Not everyone wants to buy a table lamp especially if you are staying here for a short time.
  6. Apartments do not have balconies. For the amount one pays, one would expect a balcony. WSA's next door neighbour O'Rorke Hall which is residential dorm managed by University of Auckland has really nice balconies and roof-tops.
  7. There are lots of exchange students from America living here. I was placed in an apartment with all Americans. Many Americans were also placed in all-American flats which they absolutely hated because they studied abroad to meet other people, not live with all Americans. Where and whom you stay with will have a big role in your living experience. I didn't mind living with all Americans but would have loved to live with people of other nationalities. When I filled my residence preference form, I chose to live with internationals and Kiwis but somehow was placed in all American flat. It's much easier for WSA this way but it misses the whole point of study abroad/exchange.
  8. There is no sense of privacy in your flats. Security will bust your apartment after midnight if you have people who do not live there even if you are quiet and no one has complained about it. They will hand you violation ticket and you have to pay fines if you receive three of them. If you want friends come over and just have a casual gathering, you have to register it as a party and has to be over before midnight on weekends and 10:30 on weekdays. If your friend is intoxicated and unable to walk back home, he cannot crash on your couch. Any overnight guest has to be registered beforehand with signatures from all five residents and only one guest can stay for a maximum of one night. After that, you have to pay 20 bucks per night. No extra bedding or anything is provided. Basically, even after paying for your flats, WSA management will keep an eye on what you do inside it, you're never without watchful eyes of Big Brother WSA. It really sucks to be living under so much rules and regulations even though you are now in college.
  9. Room inspections before end of semester is really harsh and unreasonable. WSA will expect you to clean everything including toilets, showers, kitchen, windows even if they were dirty when you started living. My bedroom failed because my mattress did not have a protective cover, which they were supposed to give me at the beginning of my residence. I didn't even know I was supposed to have one. The lady conducting inspection is the most rude person and a cruel soul you will ever come across. On more than four occasions, she stopped me from entering the building asking me if I live in WSA. Although it may be justified on grounds of being extra-careful, I genuinely think she has a problem with my face. If your room inspection fails second time, everyone living in the flat gets a fine meaning everyone suffers if there is one messy person living in the apartment who fails to clean/vaccum his bedroom. You think that is fair? Tragedy of the Commons, bro.
  10. On one occasion, the inspection lady knocked on a bedroom door and entered without even waiting for a response. I will not quote the name of the resident to protect his identity. That is how WSA management treats your privacy.
My Kitchen in Wellesley Student Apartment.
 I get nightmares about security breaking into my room while I'm sleeping or doing something else. I cannot deal with WSA management anymore. My apartment got three violations for having guests past midnight so I had to pay 50 dollars fine. I tried to talk to security who handed us violation but he said I needed to talk to management. I tried to appeal to management that I was not even present in Auckland let alone apartment during first violation and had just walked in 5 minutes before my third violation. They said I cannot talk to the manager, instead I had to write a formal letter which I did. I was expecting to talk and sort this out but five days later I received a letter from management that said that my case had been talked with security and fines cannot be removed. If I did not pay fines within next three days, more fines would accrue for not paying that fine. I was shocked by their style of unilateral decision making. Their bureaucracy in which security directs you to management and management cites security as basis of their decision shows how they deny you a voice to even appeal against any charge brought against you. Tired of this, I decided to pay fines that I did not deserve. Writing another letter would not only be a waste of my time and energy but would exert additional pressure on environment with waste of paper. I hope they recycled my letter.

My Bedroom in Wellesley Student Apartments
 Personally, I would not recommend anyone living in Wellesley Student Apartments because even though apartments are nice and it is close to the university, management will ruin the experience. Despite being merely caretakers, they will act as if they fucking own WSA. The only person who has been reasonable to me is a guy named Tom. He is really nice. If you have any problem, don't talk to receptionists, talk instead to Tom. Other people will treat you as a potential perpetrator/violator. I had been trying so hard not to write this post for so long because I dislike saying not-so-pleasant things about others, but my study abroad experience was really affected by them. I get nightmares about that evil-faced lady who keeps asking me if I live here or that my apartment is disgusting and unhygienic.

Alternatives. If you planning to study abroad in Auckland and need a place to stay for a semester, there are several alternatives that you may want to read about and do some research before arriving here.
  1. International House managed by University of Auckland
  2. O'Rorke Hall managed by University of Auckland, whcih is also only five minutes walk to the university
  3. Parnell Student Village, which is located in a really nice neighborhood and only 15 minutes away in walking distance. I would recommend staying here because it is more international than WSA which is mostly occupied by Americans. Even Americans living in WSA think they would have loved to stay with people of other nationalities.
If anyone is hurt by any statements expressed here, I offer my apologies and even though it appears as a hate post against WSA Management, it was necessary to say these things so that other people don't have to go through same problems. Please leave your comments/feedbacks/criticisms regarding this post if you have any.

60 comments:

  1. Well written my friend! One of my friend is still staying there and she told me that the rental just increased to over $400 a fortnight for the small room. I'm glad i moved out of the place last year. I do recommend new students to stay there for maybe the first 6 months to get familiar with their surrounding and make some friends though. Once that is done, moving out of that place is definitely the best option.

    I still can't believe they have issues with the dryer. After each repair, they'll always increase the amount to use those crappy facility. Anyway, i hope you've found yourself a good place to stay. I'm flatting with a friend over at Parnell which takes a good 15 mins walk and i'm having a blast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in Auckland only for an exchange so I only have a month more. If I could have done one thing differently, I would have chosen to live in Parnell. Do you go to University of Auckland too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish that I'd have seen your posts a few months ago... already signed my contract and paid for this semester.
    I sometimes drink coffee and I noticed that a coffee machine wasn't listed to be included in the rooms. Could you tell me how accessible it is around there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi bro:
    if I am an Aut student , Can I Still apply Parnell Student Village? THX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. Parnell is open to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Parnell Student Village was horrible. The students are very cliche-ish and immature. It says it is for graduate students but most people are 20 or under. It is very regulated, especially the internet, and flatmates change constantly and are obnoxious. Most people are filthy or smelly and there is always someone that tries to dominate everyone else. It is all coed so that means people act really tragically in an effort to get the attention of the opposite sex making the living room a hotbed of awkwardness. And as far as I know AUT students cannot live there it is owned by the university of auckland but contact housing to make sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And do you know anything about unilodge? Do many aut students live there?and how it is in general?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to attend AUT in February and have been trying to decide what to do for living...What recommendations do people have? since this place seems to be terrible. Is anyone looking/knows someone for an American female flatmate that lives in walking distance of the school? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kylie,
      I'm attending AUT in July and I was wondering what you ended up doing for housing?? I too really do not want to live in WSA it looks awful... I was looking at unilodge too. I'm also American and would love some advise! Thanks

      Delete
    2. oh really International House pretty apartment i have seen many offer but you are offering to much facilities in front of any offer i like that thank you for this post...

      Cheapest student apartments in Manchester | Closest student accommodation to Manchester University

      Delete
  9. Hi Kylie,
    I had the same doubts about WSA, but now, just 5minutes ago I completed the online application XD
    I found some comments of people who have recently stayed there and they seemed happy. Also it is the easiest way to arrange accommodation...
    I was also thinking about Unilodge, which looks a lot nicer, but it is also more expensive...
    so maybe, you'll change your mind too and I'll see you at WSA ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. another good place to stay is Unilodge:
    http://www.unilodge.com.au/locations/showgallery.asp?ID=12&Location=Auckland

    There you can get single studios or also live with others...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also switched to Unilodge :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. WSA sucks! I should have stayed at Empire or Unilodge, or even private...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just couldn’t leave your website before telling you that we really enjoyed the quality information you offer to your visitors… Will be back often to check up on new posts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Fantastic Blog, it’s so helpful to me, and your blog is very good,

    ReplyDelete
  15. im going to attend aut in feb 2012.. how's the student there? are they being nice to international student? im still looking for my accommodation there, coz WSA is no longer have any available room at the moment.. =(

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey i m going to attend aut in feb 2012. i wanted 2 ask how is Akoranga student village???is it good and how r d students over der... reply soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. AUT student at WSAApril 27, 2012 at 6:58 PM

    Just to add some feedback, I found this post to be a bit harsh. I've been living at WSA this semester and I have never been fined, walked in on, or had inspections (yet). The ladies at the front desk will help you out if you are nice to them, which you should be anyway. Just ask for lightbulbs, vacuum cleaner bags, replacement cookware or kitchenware, and they will most likely give it to you. I agree about the dryers (they suck) but I usually just save the $3 and use the drying racks provided in the rooms. Also, I live in an entirely international flat (2 Americans, 1 Chinese, 1 Australian, 1 Scottish)

    Management must have gone under some changes because as far as I know all of the RAs I've met have been extremely helpful and friendly. They are completely willing to make sure you have a positive experience and I've had a wonderful time here. There are some things getting used to, but that comes along with studying abroad and culture shock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'm very glad I came across this while doing research on WSA. Been reading a lot of unpleasant things. Thanks! Looking forward to AUT I'll be enrolling in July 2012 :)

      Delete
  18. Hai farhana,
    Am also looking forward to AUT to enrol in july 2012....haven't decided anything in my accomadation procedures yet...plz let me know if you could suggest some best options..

    ReplyDelete
  19. In the end of your blog, you recommend International House. While it wasn't nearly as bad as your experience, I can tell you that it is no party. For one, the washing machines and dryers rarely worked properly and ate your change. The food was terrible: fatty meat, dry pasta and rice and greasy curries every day. The management were also very apathetic and insensitive, dealing badly with a number of student complaints and issues (including depression). To top this all off, we were each asked to pay $30 towards the replacement of a carpet that had been ruined by a few fine-arts students; not only was the carpet not in need of replacement, but we were all unfairly punished for the actions of a few students.

    All this for over $320 a week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is my third year living at WSA. And I've had the complete opposite experience at WSA to you.

    I've loved every minute of it, obviously as i'm still here in my final year of study. Management can be a little annoying at times mostly due to the fact that they don't always have small things available for you like lightbulbs or vacuum bags etc. But other than that everything is awesome.

    It's a student apartment building, so security having to shut things down is a necessity for other students who are studying at late hours. Maybe when you were there they just walked in, but they knock on your door and politely ask you to either keep the noise down or that they have to shut you down as residents are complaining.

    The security team are also very friendly and approachable, so there's nothing wrong on that front either.

    All in all, it's a great place to stay while studying and i'd recommend it to everyone, I've met people here who I know will be my friends for life.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for providing nice information.It will be a big help specially to those student that wanted to rent an apartment for their lodging.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Students looking for rooms or housing for rent considered many factors before they avail of it's services. Owners of these rooms for rent should bear in mind that it is important that they have a good relationship between the students while providing them the their right.

    bendigo student accommodation

    ReplyDelete
  23. dining room's look is fantabulous.. i m surprised to see that.. that's so much beautiful..

    Ocean Drive Miami Condo | Ocean Drive Miami Beach Condo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Am currently staying at WSA now and so far everything is alright. Except that the washing machine sometimes sucks but that is still ok. The management has been so far so good from what i see

    ReplyDelete
  25. Heyhey,
    I'm coming to Auckland in February for one semester and now I'm also considering staying in WSA...do you think by now it got better? Is it possible to find a cheaper flat somewhere in the city or would you rather not recommend it? Thanks by the way for writing this excellent post! It's very helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am coming to AUT for summer school in Feb 2014 for 2 weeks. Do you think it is safe for women travelling alone? Is it noisy? Is it secure? Do bedroom doors have locks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, it is safe for women, if you ask security they will take you where you need to go (not too far away from WSA of course) it won't be very noisy as their won't be many people staying there when you are and if they are they will most likely be focussed as you are. And if they aren't you can always complain. It is secure, each apartment has a lock and your bedroom also has its own lock :)

      Delete
  27. Hi folks!
    Anyone have some experience with homestay? Is that a good idea?

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've been here a few weeks now. the place gets a bit noisy sometimes but the environment of different nationalities is cool. Few issues with the apartment utilities and the card locks. the RA are nice people, but can be hard to contact. I sometimes find that young pacific maori security guy mean n rude but at times can be kind n friendly, easy to find when help is needed.

    don't like the pizza shop. the shop by Pita usually sells expired food. that new habibi kabarb place is so so.

    When walking along the street outside WSA, i find it unsafe at times because there's usually weird random guys walking. i like it when i see security having a smoke cause i feel save and know i reached home.

    There is plenty to say about the Wellesley student apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great article ...Thanks for your great information, the contents are quiet interesting. I will be waiting for your next post.
    student accommodation newcastle

    ReplyDelete
  30. There are a few fundamentals that need to be kept in mind when buying affordable homes in developing areas and these guidelines will assist you in making the right choice
    African real estate

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi, I'm moving in there in February and I'm wondering what bedroom size I should pick. How big was your room? Is the small room too small, and how is the bed size in the small room? Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hey, does ANYONE have any experiences of the Akoranga Student Village? Because I've been trying to find reviews and stuff for it but can't seem to find any...

    If you have lived there and there are awesome and/or sucky things about it, can you let me know?

    ReplyDelete
  33. can you tell me the bedroom's size? rooms are looking outstanding i hope bedrooms are big and comfortable for students.
    there is one more thing which is very important , this is closest to the university thanks for sharing a great information.



    Manchester University student accommodation | The Castle Manchester

    ReplyDelete
  34. many students who live in Australia with out their families they have to stay with Australian Family, they allowed you some thing and somethings do not allowed, good for those students is that they have to live according to their landlords.


    Cheapest student apartments in Manchester | Closest student accommodation to Manchester University

    ReplyDelete
  35. I've been here a few weeks now. the place gets a bit noisy sometimes but the environment of different nationalities is cool. Few issues with the apartment utilities and the card locks. the RA are nice people, but can be hard to contact.

    Best student accommodation in Leicester | Cheapest student accommodation in Leicester

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex! Are you currently staying in WSA? How much is a small room fortnightly?

      Delete
  36. Now a days lots of student going abroad for higher study .
    That why very difficult to find out best student accommodation .
    thanks for your support and guide line .



    Modern student accommodation in Manchester | Student accommodation close to Manchester city centre

    ReplyDelete
  37. i really appreciate your efforts and ideas that you have shared with us such a intersting and amazing blog i personally admire it and i hope in future you will appear more info like this.
    Kingsmill Studios | Closest student accommodation to Huddersfield University

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great blog of students apartments It looks pretty appealing right. Basically, it offers all you want in a decent apartment. But there are several issues with their management.Thanks for sharing..........

    Student apartments in Huddersfield | Unite Snow Island

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great blog I needed to talk to management. I tried to appeal to management that I was not even present in Auckland let alone apartment during first violation and had just walked in 5 minutes before my third violation.Thanks for sharing......

    Sheffield student accommodation | Best place for a student to live close to Sheffield University

    ReplyDelete
  40. such a delightful resources to bring their in Wellesley Student Apartments from Auckland. it would be best atmosphere for student to spend education periods.

    Student accommodation close to Manchester University | Student accommodation close to Manchester Met

    ReplyDelete
  41. Nice Blog..You can also prefer rental service If you are new in New Zealand, Queenstown is the best place for hiring rental service for spending holidays as the Rent A Room Is a best rental source for over there for renting. Also, they create good relations between property owners and tenant in order to deliver comfortable living. For detail information please visit http://www.rentaroom.org.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  42. one of the glories Wellesley Student Apartments in Auckland. thanks so much to appear this kind of glories post.

    Brand new student accommodation in Leicester | Cheapest Leicester student accommodation

    ReplyDelete
  43. this is very determinate Wellesley Student Apartments, Auckland best for aware this kind of amazing place for student life.

    Luxury Cheapest Student Accommodation In Chester | Student Accommodation Chester

    ReplyDelete
  44. Apartments near university of ottawa which is Fully furnished 4 bedrooms shared facilities apartment located in Sandy Hill Nr Ottawa University. This elegant accommodation is located in a safe neighborhood one block from University of Ottawa, few minutes walking distance to Ottawa Parliament Byward Market, grocery stores and essential amenities. Laundry on-site.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Your blog has always been a good source for me to get quality tips on blogging. Thanks once again.
    Bathroom Repair

    ReplyDelete
  46. this is best accommodation apartment in new Zealand with Wellesley Auckland. that have glories atmosphere for overseas student.

    L href=http://www.northgate-point.co.uk/Luxury Student Accommodation in Chester | Brand New Student Studio Apartments In Chester



    ReplyDelete
  47. Apartments for rent near ottawa university is perched atop one of Ottawa's most enviable locations and offers year-round access to the city's finest recreational resources, just seconds from your apartment. Revel in all the possibilities! During

    ReplyDelete
  48. I totally agree with this post, WSA is an absolute joke - an utter con if you ask me. You pay $4,000NZD for a semester to be treated like you are in prison. There's so many rules and the check out date for 1 semester residents is the day after the last exam, yeah so much time to study and pack at the same time. It's also at 10am on a saturday.

    There's no oven, you have to pre-book one downstairs if you want to cook proper food. The fridge is tiny, not enough space for 5 people. When I moved in my room was dirty with sticky stuff on the desk and hadn't been hoovered. The bedrooms are equally tiny - with uncomfortable tiny beds - and I agree, the lighting is shocking, I had to buy a lamp. The flats are freezing cold in the winter, you can actually feel a breeze coming through the closed windows. The laundry facilities are shocking, $3/use and your clothes come out still dirty, the dryers don't even dry your clothes (I have been refunded for this tbf).

    We had security walk into our apartment when we all lived there, at 9:30pm on a saturday, because we had an 'unregistered social gathering'- the people who lived there having a couple of drinks before heading out. They also called us from across the road because they could still "hear us talking". They're power hungry ***holes, who like to pick people they don't like. People above us have played music at 4am and all sorts and not been stopped.

    Also, there's a noise ban that bans overnight guests and visitors for like 4 weeks even at weekends because of exams. I get that people need to study but so what you need to live a little too. Also, they changed the social gathering policy to anything over 8 people (including flatmates, so that's 3 guests), regardless of alcohol being consumed. Therefore, during the noise ban you wouldn't be allowed to have a movie night or anything either unless you didn't register it and face then getting a fine. Flawed system.

    The only good thing about WSA is the distance to the uni, plus you get to meet people easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where would you suggest is a better place to stay?? Thanks for your review btw

      Delete
  49. If i was studying at AUT would i still be able to stay at a place managed by uni of auckland

    ReplyDelete
  50. I was looking for this kind of information that I received from here..

    ReplyDelete
  51. You can usually get one even if you do not have a job because your student loan counts as your income.

    DMU student accommodation

    ReplyDelete
  52. Really amazing article, it is very informative, keep on writing articles like this.
    it has been very helpful.

    York House

    ReplyDelete