Monday, November 30, 2009

Site of the Month (November)- Ted.com

Ok, so I came up with a great idea, namely - nominating a site for the month.
Reason: To promote the site and spread great ideas that others may not be familiar with prior to it.


For the month of November, I chose Ted.com. And again, this is not a scientific decision but rather a personal one. I think Ted.com is a great website to learn from whenever you have free time. This semester my reading hobby has suffered a strong blow due to a very tight schedule. As a result, I thought I really need to compensate for this loss by watching some intellectually stimulating videos with great ideas implicit in them. Aptly, one of my friends suggested Ted.com and I've been an addict ever since.


An excerpt from Ted.com's website:
TED is a small nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. It started out (in 1984) as a conference bringing together people from three worlds: Technology, Entertainment, Design. Since then its scope has become ever broader. Along with the annual TED Conference in Long Beach, California, and the TEDGlobal conference in Oxford UK, TED includes the award-winning TEDTalks video site, the Open Translation Program, the new TEDx community program, this year's TEDIndia Conference and the annual TED Prize.
Every video has subtitles in several languages thereby widening the scale and scope of spreading ideas to non-English speakers and the deaf. Take a look at the website and browse through some videos and I promise you won't be disappointed.

I have embedded a sample video that I liked of a simple guy in Africa who on his own built a windmill. It will inspire any youth from a poor nation to do something for one's country.