Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween at Trinity

Happy Horror Leen Hollow Leen.Halloween



It was quite a Halloween scene at Trinity last week. Halloween stickers in Mabee and somewhat more artistic ones at libraries added to the experience, however my favorite part was the candies placed by one of McLean residents that I picked as I walked in and out of the Hall. InterVarsity joined the Halloween party with its free pancakes while Susanna with its hard work, creativity and resident volunteers created quite a scene worth a tour. Calvert Ghosts as a tradition was kept alive with participation of Calvert residents. And, there were dance parties and frat parties. The one that stood out, in my view, was 'Rocky Horror Picture Show'.

Rocky Horror Picture Show was a real culture shock as part of my stay in the US. Not that it would have been any less shocking had it been mentioned in the International Student Orientation Class though. I wouldn't imagine that people could go to that extent, guys kissing guys, girls kissing girls, groping in public, stripping naked and other activities that I do not intend to describe. I like to keep my blog somewhat readable for all audiences. I arrived late to the show which was intentionally devised to avoid getting a V mark on my forehead. Yes, I was tipped off by some knowledgeable friends. Maintaining a safe distance from the stage, I was a spectator ion in this reaction where ions of opposite charges, protons with negative charges and possibly no charges defied the conventional laws of attraction. I didn't see it beyond 10 minutes.

The word Horror aptly describes my general perception of the 'Rocky Horror Picture Show'. I wonder what would happen if there were to be something like this in my country, Nepal. It will never happen. Halloween is a culture that I have not understood yet or at least gotten comfortable with. We do honor the dead in Nepal but it is nothing like this.

I met a girl who was dressed up in some costume that I wasn't familiar with. However, I said, "Hey, Megan Fox."
She replied, "Really, do I like like Megan?"
I said, "No, you look like a Fox."
This is a Tangential Break: Looking at the quality of humor in the Trinitonian, I thought I would also try my luck. I didn't say that. Totally punned that.