Monday, November 30, 2009

Schools Kill Creativity

There is a direct correlation between my affinity for schools and number of days to finals. And discernibly, the relation is inverse. In fact, my affinity for schools is inversely proportional to the square of number of days remaining for the finals.

As finals approach, I think I channel my mental energy to activities that I am made to to instead of ones I think are important in my personal development intellectually. This drives me into a mental introspective state where I conduct philosophical surgeries and spiritual operations as to what truly is the purpose of exams. Call it undue mental stress levied due to academic pressures or my bias against conventional testing methods, namely examinations, I fail to see its benefits.

Since I did not want to study for my Mechanics and Differential Equations exams two days from now or work on my paper, or on my design project or presentation, I watched this video that resonated with my current state of mind. The video argues that schools kill creativity by giving rise to academic hierarchies at the top of which sits mathematics followed by humanities and arts at the bottom. And, this hierarchy is precisely determined by marketability of each discipline, meaning how suitable is it for getting a job. We study what we study not necessarily because we truly are passionate about that discipline but because it has a better scope and has a greater probability of making our lives better, monetarily and tangibly of course.

Take a look at the video, if you have time. It's fascinating, not to mention humorous.