Thursday, August 19, 2010

Rain/Ruin in Auckland

New Zealand Travel Diary, Entry #10

Rain in winter. That's everyone's nightmare, isn't it? Growing up in Nepal where we have rainy season or monsoon as some romantics like to call it, came just before onset of summer or with it. So rain was more often welcomed by myself, other people living in inner city of Kathmandu and others living in southern plains where it gets quite hot during summer. But living here in Southern Hemisphere in New Zealand and experiencing rain during winter is the last thing anyone would come here for. Seems like I chose the second best semester to study aborad. The best would have been when it's Spring in Northern Hemisphere and summer here.

I came to know it rains less during summer than winter. What, really? For some people rain is quite depressing while for others, it can be quite romantic especially if you have someone to hold hands with and walk under the same umbrella. Haha. That's what we see in movies, especially bollywood ones, don't we?

Writing this on my desk overlooking the falling rain drops outside my window is not that bad afterall. Only when I have to go out and walk in the rain or plan a trip on a weekend, do I wish it didn't rain this much. I don't hate rain though. My grandparents were farmers and so I was brought up learning to appreciate rain and regard it as a boon since monsoon rain was all we depended on, there was no organized irrigation, just natural irrigation.

Last weekend, I went hiking with Tramping Club in Waitakere ranges and it rained the whole day. It was also quite windy which means umbrellas are virtually useless. The trails were muddy and slippery, sometimes even steep. The hike up to the hut was quite intense. I wished I hadn't gone. Only after I reached the hut, sat by the lit fire and enjoyed a shared group meal did I change my opinions. We played some "wicked" games and it was a fun night. We all joined our mattresses and slept together. It was one of the best nights in New Zealand so far because there was no electricity, no television, no internet to interfere with serenity of the night deep in the Waitakere ranges. I actually did quite well in a game called 'Phone Book' much to my astonishment. It requires great combination of alertness and balance, knowledge of center of gravity helps but I disagree that my engineering background gave me an unfair advantage over others.

The hike back next day was quite fun though. I slipped several times and my backpack was covered in mud, so were my boots and socks. The weekend before, I had gone to Pohuehue Scenic Park and it was raining then too. The trail was muddy and slippery. Our kayaking trip to Rangitoto this weekend was cancelled due to rain and bad weather. It's raining almost every day. And it's difficult to go outdoors in rain during weekends and New Zealand is one of the most outdoor kind of country. All of this due to my bad planning, I guess and making the second best choice among two semesters to come here.

Read Entry #9 of New Zealand Travel Diary Series here.
Read Entry #8 of New Zealand Travel Diary Series here.
Read Entry #7 of New Zealand Travel Diary Series here.
Read Entry #6 of New Zealand Travel Diary Series here
Read Entry #5 of New Zealand Travel Diary Series here
Read Entry #4 of New Zealand Travel Diary Series here.
Read Entry #3 of New Zealand Travel Diary Series here.
Read Entry #2 of New Zealand Travel Diary Series here.
Read Entry #1 of New Zealand Travel Diary Series here

No comments:

Post a Comment