Sunday, July 25, 2010

Waitomo Glowworm Caves

New Zealand Travel Diary, Entry #7

This past weekend, we went to see famous glowworms in Waitomo caves, about 3 hours drive south of Auckland, New Zealand. I had never been in a real cave before and needless to say, I was amazed. The cave was 4.5 million years old and made up of limestone. It had amazing shapes and formations. Unfortunately, no photography of any kind was permitted which is why I don't have any pictures of glowworms or limestone formations.


The image above is taken from the internet, but literally that is how amazing it looks inside. It's one of the most popular attractions among tourists that come to New Zealand. I will leave the science behind glow produced by these worms for you to figure out. It's really not that hard. It's just some kind of bio-luminescence. We did not go to black water rafting even though it would have been really cool. You gotta watch your spending!


This is not glowworm caves. This is simply a tunnel that came out of the cave. Photo: Digital Subway

There was a scenic reserve too where we took a stroll and I got nice images. I figured I could actually post at least one picture per blog. New Zealand is a heaven for photographers. You can get some really awesome pictures. I'm glad I bought by DSLR camera before this trip.


Waitomo Scenic Reserve. Photo: Digital Subway


Waitomo Scenic Reserve. Photo: Digital Subway

In my next post, I will include images of waterfall and black sand beach. Ever seen black sand beach? It was really amazing. Keep reading my posts :D

Read Entry #6 of New Zealand Travel Diary Series here
Read Entry #5 of New Zealand Travel Diary Series here
Read Entry #4 of New Zealand Travel Diary Series here.
Read Entry #3 of New Zealand Travel Diary Series here.
Read Entry #2 of New Zealand Travel Diary Series here.
Read Entry #1 of New Zealand Travel Diary Series here

No comments:

Post a Comment