Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Monster Diversity Leadership Program- New York 2009


I thought I finally got to attend a programme of considerable worth after a long time. In my first year of college, I hardly participated in any of the club activities. And the Monster.com, the organizer of this grand programme, to be simulatenously organized in other regions of the United States assured me and other participants that among 20,000 or so applications, only 2700 were selected. Big deal.
When I arrived at St. John's University in New York, the atmosphere was great, full of energy, positive vibes and participants were buzzing with excitement. I sublimed in the energized atmosphere and engaged in conversations. I met many good people, five from Nepal too and several from India. I was especially pleased to meet one of the facilitators, Ethan, coincidentally the first person I met at the event. Graduating from NYU, he was very excited and a person who loved so many things in life. Instead of working a 10-5 job like most of the humans in this world and even more so in New York, he worked with a zoo and other organizations. In the future, he wanted to become an actor.
To cut the long story short, I felt it was worth because I met new people and made connections, which might be useful in the future. But, I was disappointed with the way Monster DLP organizers treated us. It's not that they were rude or disrespectful. I felt they treated us like children, making us shout by throwing away little gifts (with sponsors' names) everytime some group made a loud noise. Personally, I am not a person who likes to engage in these kind of activities. No wonder, I never went to a pub/disco/bar the second time. The slogans they had come up with was very catchy. One of them was "Rock the DLP, Rock, Rock the DLP, Rock the DLP...Stop". (I hope I got it right.) And you had to virtually shout out your lungs while chanting this slogan. There were numerous ones like these. And everytime, any MC saw you not shouting out loud, you became the star of the show for the moment since you would be honorfully brought to the stage to become the victim and shake your ass while the excited crowd roars in approval.
Besides this childish treatment, which I thought was inappropriate, the sponsors joined in too to make the DLP program look very silly. Sponsors (apparently company recruiters) danced at Monster DLP like crazy everytime they came on stage. Many of the recruiters were in their early 20's and many of them were even student interns. And they were the 'so-called recruiters'. Can you believe that they were ostensibly to hire us and to advise us on our future plans. Many participants complained that every time participants asked any question to them, they replied, "I suggest, you log on to our website and check the information."
Scholarships were given out but noone knew on what basis they were awarded. And, sadly they were very few in number, much less than proclaimed by Monster, the organizer. Apparently, few of the sponsors who had promised bigger committments did not show up. The major attraction of the event, three laptops by HP were also cancelled since HP did not show up.
Monster DLP had good intent while organizing this event but I thought the event at New York was a joke, an indelible dent in their credibilty. And the participants who had been to other venues in the past years concured with the above statement.
I hope somehow Monster.com organizers pay heed to this message and take steps to make their programs in the future more suited to the college students' needs and not high school ones. Who likes to burn one's lung out chanting slogans?