Sunday, August 23, 2009

Free Hugs in New York


What can you get for free in New York?
  • Bad odour.
  • Unsolicited pamphlets/flyers on streets.
  • Free newspapers.
  • Unwanted brochures slid under your apartment door.
  • Scolding by cab drivers and busy pedestrians.
  • Look of indiference on city dwellers.
What else? I can't think of anything that you could actually use or has some meaning to you. Who gives away anything for free of some signifigance these days?
I was surprised when I saw a guy, roughly 19-20 years of age holding a sign that read, "Free Hugs" in Times Square, New York. At first, I thought it was some kind of trap that first gives you useless free stuffs and then makes you buy something as a trade-off. Wary of such disasters, I moved on. Several steps further, I saw more young people holding the sign. And, this time there were girls too. While I was watching them with curiosity, I saw some people actually reached out and hugged the volunteers. I could not wait to take out my cell-phone and click a photo with my prized 5 Megapixel camera. (I call it prized because even I-phone 3G-S has a 3 Megapixel integrated camera.)

Times Square of New York has always amused me and encaptivated with its outrageously lively atmosphere. It is the only place in the world where you can expect to see and meet people from all over the world. And, probably also the only place where a camera never stops clicking. Click. Click. Flashes, everywhere. There were actually so many people with the sign, "Free Hugs" that I knew it no more could be an individual based effort. There must be something going on, I thought. And, owing to my curiosity or 'inquisitive nature', as I like to call it, I was tempted more than once to approach and ask one of the volunteers holding the sign. But that would mean, I would have to hug the person. This time, owing to my cultural upbringing, I moved back. You see, it's a cultural thing. I grew up in Nepal, a pretty conservative society where men do not hug women, it would be termed 'inappropriate'. I have hugged women in the past, but always with reluctance and yes, I did get nervous first few times. Now, they do it, I just give in.
So, when I got home, I could not contain my inquisitive curiosity and Googled at the first possible chance. And, I found a very interesting story. It was started by a person with a very noble mission. He was in helpless state at an aiport in the UK. So, he cut off a piece of card-board and held the sign, "Free Hugs".** People gave him strange looks but after few minutes a woman came and talked to him about her deceased dog the same morning. And this was how this "Free Hugs" campaign started. I think this is a very good campaign, a very humane one. I have lived in New York for a couple of months and have seen how they are one of the most unhappiest*, unsatisfied* people in the world and so, they are the ones who need the hugs the most.
**Find more information, here. http://freehugscampaign.org/

* I know I have made a very controversial statement and I do not intend to explain why I believe so. I will do so in my future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment