Friday, June 11, 2010

The World Cup has Made me Alive Again

The wait is finally over. The World Cup fever has begun and with it the whole world has joined hands together to watch this wonderful charismatic game of football. No, I will not say it as soccer. Americans should name their game of football as handball because that is what it really is. The only time they use foot is while kicking it from the 10 yard line or something, I don't know.

We say enjoy it while you're still young. Watching world cup and realizing that millions and certainly bilions are watching it across teh globe makes you feel young again. Staying away from home for two years is a long time and it can emotionally drain any human being. That's how immigrants have to live in their emigrant country. I was starting to get tired of this monotonous life. College too had started to seem like to be a routine and everyday brought mundane assignments. Weekends brought less relaxation than project deadlines. I had lost touch with my culture, religion and festivals. I have been twice to a temple, once this year and once last year. Sometimes, you feel you are lost in translation, as they say. That was exactly what had happened to me. And I imagine it happens to all of us.

Then today as the World Cup kicked off, I realized I was filled with life again. Seeing the whole world and less so Americans probably rise up to the euphoria made me feel so happy again. Two years of detached college life that had stripped me of excitement and connection with my culture was revived again by imagining myself four years ago and reminisicng the company I had enjoyed while rooting for favorite teams and cursing opponents. It all seemed to come back again. I know I am being carried away a little and some of this may appear exaggeration but I felt a genuine excitement for something after a very long time while watching the game. No, SuperBowl never succeeded in doing the same. A single day event spanning a couple hours can hardly have the same effect. The first time I watched SuperBowl was to see advertisments. I am not kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment