Friday, June 4, 2010

Summer in San Antonio

What would it be like to spend a summer in San Antonio? I asked this question to myself last summer and figured it would not be so fun with unbearable San Antonio heat. I packed my stuff and headed towards North East to stay with my friends. This summer however, I decided to stay in San Antonio. And it was a wise choice keeping in mind that I will be leaving for New Zealand in July.

                            Musuem itself is so artistic. Photo: Digital Subway 
That's right. I am leaving for NZ in July to study abroad for a whole semester. I know, it's so exciting. I came to realize that the common misconception "engineering majors don't get to study abroad, period" was not true. At least not at Trinity. For engineers, it is difficult because courses are structured for all four years in progression and if you miss a semester, you don't have the pre-requisites for the next semester's courses. Also, it is extremely rare to earn transfer credits for an accredited Engineering program because each country has a different program. However, Dr. Mahbub Uddin, an engineering professor at Trinity visited several engineering colleges in New Zealand and Australia to determine compatibility last year and now we can get transfer credits for engineering courses if it meets core course content.

Morale of the story: Engineers can study abroad too.

I will also be taking some Anthropology and Politics courses for my International Studies major. I am excited for my venture into NZ, an exotic place and a favorite among directors to film exotic movies like Lord of the Ring and Avatar among others.

                                
I was telling you about spending a summer in San Antonio. It has been pretty fulfilling so far. Last weekend, with a group of friends I went to San Antonio Museum of Art that is about 10 minutes away from Trinity. It charges a small fee to students but with Trinity I.D., it is absolutely free! We were impressed with richness of its collections and got to learn a great deal about ancient, medieval and modern art. My favorite section was the gallery containing Psychedelic Art.
         From left: Jaskirat Batra, Me, Kang Chon Kim and Sawan Vaidya. Photo: A stranger


                          My favorite pyschedelic art. Photo: Digital Subway
I was glad to see some artistic idols of Hindu Gods and Goddesses from Nepal too. Sadly, I don't have any pictures of those. Below is the image of a cupid that I thought was pretty photogenic.
 Cupid. Photo: Digital Subway                                                                     

I will brief you about my other ventures into San Antonio in the future.

Note: This blog was written as a post for Official Student Blogger Program for Trinity University.

No comments:

Post a Comment