Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Marching with Trinity at largest MLK March of nation

         San Antonio is a pretty quiet city only until Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Come MLK day, San Antonio city attracts a lot of attention and marchers. In fact, San Antonio leads the largest MLK March in the US and Trinity University leads one of the largest student marchers group every year. Keeping in mind, waking up habits of college students on holidays, it adds to institutional integrity of Trinity.



Photo By: Jaskirat Singh Batra
      I also marched along with other students and this was my second time which means I have marched every single year I have been here. MLK march has a significance and people marched for various causes. Since it is not a parade, every student was told to think of why they were marching. I marched because,
  • I wanted to be a part of the largest MLK March in the US.
  • I want global inequality to end, MLK was the symbol for end of inequality
  • I wanted to wake up early. March ended before noon and I wouldn't have waken up before noon had I decided not to go.

Photo by: Abhishek Chhetri
         Solidarity and integrity among marchers of San Antonio incited good feelings. Scale of an organized march in modern day shows that it is still valid as a powerful tool against hegemony and discrimination. It also acted as an excellent platform to disseminate information and advertise about one's business or candidacy in Mayor's election which was reflected in posters and flyers that were distributed periodically throughout the march.

No comments:

Post a Comment