Saturday, December 5, 2009

International Holiday Dinner & Gift Exchange

Again, I wrote this as part of my Official Student Blogger for Trinity University.
        
     Trinity students were treated to exotic cuisines yesterday which included authentic Nepalese style cooked momos, popularly known as dumplings. The program was organized by International Programs office in collaboration with International Club. Students at Trinity come from 57 different countries and there was a representative dish from each one.


      No, I'm kidding. But there were authentic and representative dishes from several countries. It was home-made meal cooked by students, international programs staffs assisted by dining services staffs. I was involved partly in cooking momos which ran out before everyone had a chance for first serve. I'm not kidding. I didn't get to eat a single one since I was busy cooking other dishes in the kitchen while it ran out.

This is Sawan and Paurakh cooking momos.  Photo by: Inessa.


          Also, there was a traditional Christmas style gift exchange which was a good experience for international students who were not previously aware of how Christmas is celebrated in the US. I got a "I love Texas" logo in exchange for my little "statue of liberty" replica. To make exchange more interesting and add some mystery to game, gifts were wrapped which meant one had to choose a gift based purely on instincts, but people tended to use size as their primary choice variable. So, my gift was chosen last. No one noticed, except me.


        In addition, my host family- Roy and Cammy- two great people also were invited for the dinner and we had a very nice conversation with them. It's always nice to have a family here in the US while I am away from my home in Nepal.