Friday, October 2, 2009

Becoming an ASR Senator


After running an unsuccessful campaign in Spring 2009, I was disappointed but not discouraged so I applied again for a vacant position with encouragement from friends and others. And the candidates had to present their issues before the elected members who would cast their votes and the decision would be made based on that.

Now, this one was even harder if you think about it. During the actual campaign, you were not judged or voted upon according to your speech or issues. Few candidates didn't even turn up for the public speak-out and those who did, guess what? There were few spectators (listeners or public) than the number of speakers themselves! And also, many people didn't even have a clear set of agenda or issues that they would work upon being elected.

So, anyway, I did fill out a small questionaire but, on the day when the candidates were supposed to speak out, I had a Electric Circuits Exam. Game Over. There was no way people would vote for me if I didn't show up. But things did work out in the end. One of my friends and current ASR Senator, Ryan offered to speak behalf on me. Also, I finished my exam early(and I aced it when I got the paper back:D I love Electric Circuits) and showed up for few minutes which turned out to be in my favor.


I was not expecting to deliver a speech let alone answer to the questions and queries. I had no notes, no mental preparation but I was asked to speak. I didn't really give my best speech but the content was pretty sturdy or so I like to believe. And now, I am an ASR Senator. But this is just the beginning as I like to believe it. It would be a tremendous disaster if I would not be able to achieve much as ASR Senator. It's not easy though. I can hardly find any time for anything these days. My double major in Electrical Engineering and International Affairs takes up all the time, the former one taking the lion's share.

Tomorrow, I am going to meet the new University President, Dr. Dennis A. Ahlburg on behalf of the Trinity students. No Trinity student has met him before so it definitely makes us (ASR) feel special even though we may not have been able to secure a special niche in Trinity students' hearts.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]