Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Google Scholarships



It feels great to see that Google actually gives away several annual scholarships to students to encourage them to do better. I was excited and had a look at the scholarships awarded to students and checked to see if I had a chance.

Unfortunately, I realized I did not qualify for any of those. It seemed that in order to be eligible for any of them, I had to be a minority of some sort, either a female pursuing computer related degree or belong to a less common ethnic group such as Native American. I am an Asian and a male. Sorry, no scholarships for you. How ridiculous! I am not against positive discrimination but at least others too should have a chance.

2 comments:

  1. Positive discrimination is important to level out the field for others too, more of like to create a 'flat world' as implied by Thomas Friedman. But in this case, the field was not leveled for people belonging to more common ethnicities or like males.

    ReplyDelete