Saturday, February 14, 2009

Am I in the wrong class?

The moment I walk in one of my classes, I know I am in the right class because that’s the room number my schedule says. But as the class begins, I start to doubt if I am in the right class. The course topic and the course description just do not match. Today in the class, I nearly reached a point where I thought I knew I was in the wrong class, wrong not in the sense of wrong classroom though. It seemed the professor had tricked me with an interesting course title and stimulating course description but instead had chosen to teach what he knew, instead of what he had promised.

If you are wondering what class I am talking about, then let me tell you it’s the Ancient Science &Technology. And yeah, the professor seems to have come right from the ancient age to impart ancient knowledge about his era and enlighten us with biblical dates and information as if that were why we were in that class for. He has an ancient appearance to him, could be deliberate to make the classes and his information seem authentic, I guess. He talks about ancient writings with corresponding dates and shows thousands of images of cuneiforms and inscribed tablets that almost everyone finds boring. I mean, it might be interesting to see the cuneiform or clay tablets for the first time but if you keep on seeing the same images over and over, it’s hard to stay awake or retain patience unless you are some academic who finds clay tablets stimulating. The first class was really boring but I convinced myself that it was just the introduction class and it would get interesting progressively. But nothing seems to change as the days pass. Even add/drop period is over. But even if I were allowed to drop it, I would not drop it because I could not find any other course that I liked and was compatible with my schedule. I had high hopes from this course and thought it would renew my interest in Aristotle, Plato and Hippopotamus’ philosophy and science. I think it was Hippocrates, Hippopotamus just sounds so unphilosophical.

No comments:

Post a Comment