Thursday, April 8, 2010

My Diploma, My Pride

The wording on Trinity's graduation diploma became an issue, more contentious than anyone ever imagined. We have all read and understood arguments from either sides and know what the outcome should be but why it can't be. So, let's cut the crap here and talk straight about the core issue (as my Engineering Professor Dr. Uddin likes to say it).


Students who voiced a complain against the statement, "In the year of our Lord" and recommended that it should be changed to "In the year of .." came under personal attack. This was really an idealism debate, a debate about values. But thanks to some newspapers and their nature of reporting, it turned into a religious debate. Some were unashamed to see this as a threat against Christianity since the leader of student group turned out to be a Muslim. A pure coincidence, I can assure you.

I would have had no problem with the wording as it was since I care little what it means by Lord- Jesus, Allah or whoever. But, I know that I work hard to deserve my diploma. If needed, I spend sleepless nights or work late into the night so that I can graduate on time with a diploma that reflects my hard work. What in the world would any Lord have to do with my diploma? No Lord has assisted me in achieving the grades that I have received and they have been good, thanks to my hard work. So, why would I give any credit or show my gratitude to someone who has done nothing to deserve it? In the U.S., there is no free lunch, as we like to say it. You have to earn what you deserve. Why should the Lord get a free ride? What has the Lord done for my diploma? Tell me.

I am sure you all must have figured out (assuming you all are intelligent) that I am voicing the opinions of an atheist. But even if I believed strongly in some religion, my choice would not be different. I mean, you study in a university and not in a Church. This country has long adopted a separation of the Church and the state. But we still are trying to hold dear the ties between the Church and the university. Universities are places for breeding liberal and secular beliefs, not prejudiced ones. An atheist should feel as welcomed as anyone else.

Now, I am aware that changing the wording could drive some faithful donors away. But what good is money that comes with strings attached? If we lose a donor, we may gain another. But can we regain our value once lost? This is a litmus test for the university. Facing so much press attacks and intense attention, it can not bow down to financial pressure at the cost of losing value. Students are watching and the decision will send a signal about what the university stands for. For those outsiders, who think we might head the wrong way by removing the phrase with mention of "Lord", here is what I have to say. Trinity, today is a much better institution than what it was then as a strictly Presbyterian university. And this is not my opinion alone, ask anyone who went to Trinity in 1970s and they will tell you this is true.

4 comments:

  1. your railing against "the lord" is kind of pointless puru. i'm sure the diploma doesn't give any lord credit for your hard work as a student.

    the western calendar numbers the years from the date christ was born. "the year of the lord" is simply formal speak for "AD". i agree that if some people do not like mention of "the lord" in their diplomas, they have a right to contend this tradition. however, you have somewhat misunderstood the entire argument and have come out looking sort like an idiot (the harmless kind). peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have a valid point here. I appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The statement that "universities are a place for breeding liberal and secular beliefs" may be largely accurate, but I don't think that's a goal of Trinity at all; instead, what we need to be focusing on during this debate is the idea of Trinity's respect for both tradition and diversity. We should acknowledge Trinity's diverse population, which we do through multiple campus organizations, but we should also honor Trinity's traditions and Christian roots, which we do by convocations, such as the first year convocation we all participated in, and yes, the wording on our diploma.
    As to your arguments about sponsorship: I am attending this school because of a scholarship that Trinity was able to offer me because of a private donation. Many other students I know are here because of the same reason. If Trinity loses donors because of the wording on our diplomas, we run the risk of losing prospective students, students who add to the rich atmosphere, indeed, the diversity of our institution. I value the time I have spent at this university enough that I will do anything I can to guarantee that future Trinity students have the same opportunities I did, even proudly display my diploma, "Lord" and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Puru, I have to disagree with you when you said that universities are places for breeding secular beliefs. Shouldn't university be a place where students go to find their ultimate faith - what matters the most to them, what is worth living and dying for? This ultimate faith is their religion.

    Sandeep

    P.S. Also, don't forget that you can be religious and also be secular at the same time.

    ReplyDelete