Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Cold Blooded Murder of Arun Singhaniya

When Jared Diamond proclaimed that Nepalese society is on the verge of collapse, I was prepared to argue against his every statement. But after what happened day before yesterday (on Monday, 1st March), no more.

Cold blooded murders with a similar hit-and-run method is becoming popular among criminal groups. On Monday, they killed Arun Sinhaniya, a media entrepreneur, barely a couple feets outside his house. He is probably one of the most famous and influential people in Janakpur, my hometown.

People can be killed just like that and the government offers no resistance. A group of policemen were deployed near the spot he was killed yet the assailants escaped unharmed. Jamim Shah was killed less than a month ago. Uma Singh, a journalist who worked for Sinhaniya's FM station, Radio Today was also killed last year. 

Gaurishankar, one of my other uncles was shot about a year ago. He was extremely lucky to survive after being in a critical condition for several months. If people like Sinhaniya can be killed then, I would feel threatened to live in Janakpur. What should we all do? Just desert the town and leave for somewhere else? Just because I am away here in the US does not mean I feel safe. My hometown and my family are still in Janakpur. All I can do is write about this horrible situation on my blog. FUCK!!!!

I feel so powerless and disappointed!!

1 comment:

  1. Read these related news.

    http://www.nepalnews.com/main/index.php/news-archive/19-general/4459-media-entrepreneur-of-janakpur-shot-dead.html

    http://www.myrepublica.com/portal/index.php?action=news_details&news_id=15819

    ReplyDelete