Sunday, March 13, 2011

Trinity Engineering Science Program: A Mismatch

Spring Break has officially begun. I can't tell you how stressful this semester has been. I promised I would update this blog more frequently but Trinity's overly demanding Engineering professors are making it so much difficult for me to do anything besides coursework. I don't think this Trinity's Engineering degree will get me very far anyway. No company wants to hire Engineering Science students. They are always looking specifically Electrical/Mechanical/Computer/Chemical/Civil Engineering etc. Anyway, I'm stuck and I have to try get the best out of it.

I really want to take courses related to Energy and Environmental Engineering. The Engineering department offers only elective called "Fundamentals of Environmental Engineering" which I have already taken. And it's taught by Dr. Uddin who is amusing in class. I liked his teaching style but can't say I learnt a lot because he didn't push us hard enough. He has amazing lecture slideshows for the class and that was the best part. But the course covered a broad field in one semester and there was not much depth in any field. It was a general introduction course.

Currently I am taking Fluid Mechanics and Embedded Microcomputer Systems. I like latter one than the former. I absolutely dislike having to enroll in Fluid mechanics course. Unfortunately, it is mandatory. I sit in the class and none of the stuff excites me but instead enters my brain and exits at the same rate with zero retention rate. The professor is funny but cannot deliver the ideas properly. It is mandatory courses like these that make me feel I am in the wrong program. I have already completed seven semesters of Trinity Engineering. It would be immature to try to change major or transfer to another college. If I could do it all over again, I would probably try to be a Computer Science major. There is so much flexibility as a Comp Sci major. If course is not interesting, I could learn programming and take up projects on my own in my free time. Recently, I have developed this fetish for programming. I want to be a geek. Not that I was a Greek and want to take a U-turn. I was a semi-geek anyway, it's just I want to be a proper one now. Geeks have made it big and become famous. Take Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, Linus Torvalds, Sergey Brin, Larry Page and numerous others for example.

Is it too late to become a geek now? I guess one cannot become a geek, one needs to be born as one. I am planning maybe I can get started with fundamentals of C-programming this Spring Break and take it from there. My inspiration arose from reading "Just for Fun" by Linus Torvalds, the guy who created the kernel for Linux Operating System. I stumbled upon this book quite randomly while perusing through book shelves at Trinity University. He is my icon from now, the one I can look up to in life besides others that I already adore and revere. Blame it on my laziness, I have not gotten started on learning programming yet. I have been still reading "Just for Fun", tweeting, watching TV and cricket among my other pastimes. Wish me good luck and send some encouragement my way.

I promise once I start learning programming and spend more time with my computer, I will update this blog more frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment