Sunday, September 26, 2010

Adventure Weekend

This past weekend I went with my study abroad (IFSA-Butler) group for Adventure Weekend to Ninety Mile Beach. The beach stretches 55 miles instead of its acclaimed 90 miles. You can look straight ahead and the beach just stretches as far as you can look into the horizon. It's ideal for speeding quad-bikes which we did drive at its maximum speed. I nearly flipped one but no one got hurt. It was all part of the fun. We also did some surfing in the morning with a personal surfer showing us the basics. I managed to stand up a couple times for a few seconds, which was not bad considering it was my first time. We also did sand tobogganing, it's basically sliding down sand tunes on a sliding board. You can accelerate quite a lot as you near the bottom. The walk up to sand tunes along the coast was even more adventurous as we were splashed with big waves.

My reflection. Photo by: Digital Subway

Trey Bush (also from Trinity University) leading the group for surfing. Photo by: D.S.
Mathieu rolling on sand dune. Photo by: Digital Subway
It got pretty late by the time we got back from sand tunes so could not go to Waitangi Treaty Grounds. That's where the British and Maoris (indigenous people living in New Zealand) signed a historic treaty to maintain peace and ensure protection in exchange for handing over its sovereignty to Queen Elizabeth. The treaty is still used today to claim their rights and lands by Maoris but there is a huge disagreements on its Maori version and literal translation from English.

As much as I've been loving New Zealand, I'm sad that I will be missing TEDx Conference to be held at Trinity University in October. I will keep you guys posted on other adventures in Aotearoa, New Zealand. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment